Morning News from India - May 18, 2018 Tweet18 May 2018
- Sensex plunges 300 points, Nifty ends at 10596, Wipro, ICICI Bank top losers (Livemint)
- Busting India’s Banks (Bloomberg)
Crude @ $80 gives Govt the jitters (Hindu Businessline)
- Walmart’s Big Bet Could Pay Off for India (WSJ)
Marrying Flipkart’s knowledge of the Indian market with Walmart’s grasp of logistics and distribution could create a new challenge to Amazon and boost efficiency across Asia’s third-largest economy. This, then, is the ultimate promise of Walmart’s bet on India. If it pays off, shareholders will benefit. But more important, 1.3 billion Indians will get a powerful reminder that capitalism works.
- The hard work ahead for Walmart and Flipkart (Forbes India)
One big reason that Amazon India saw early success was because it understood the management in the US. Agarwal spent 18 years at Amazon. He was part of Bezos’s core team, involved in almost every major initiative at Amazon. Bezos and Agarwal are friends, trust each other. and have a direct line to each other. They have similar DNA, work in a similar manner, and are aligned to the same vision. That’s a huge advantage. Walmart needs to create a similar relationship over time (but not too much time) between the US team and the India team.
- Uber-Ola battle shapes future of Indian ride-hailing (Financial Times)
- Amazon’s growing India business alone is likely worth more than all of Macy’s (CNBC)