Morning News from India - May 29, 2018 Tweet29 May 2018
- Sensex, Nifty Halt Three-Day Winning Streak Dragged By Banks (Bloomberg Quint)
- Five questions India’s central banker could face at his parliamentary grilling (Quartz India)
Sexual Violence Is Holding Back the Rise of India (Bloomberg Quint)
- The grassroots movement that shut down an Indian copper plant (BBC) - VEDL
- India’s Biggest Competitors to Walmart and Amazon? Mom and Pop (WSJ)
Tiny stores known as kiranas dot every Indian street, village and slum. Usually family-run, these micro-businesses range from street vendors selling vegetables to shops the size of a one-car garage. They pay low wages and have little or no rent, which helps keep costs down. And since they cater largely to neighborhood populations, many offer instant delivery, interest-free credit and other personalized services that the global giants are unable or unwilling to provide.
- How Alibaba is planning to counter Amazon and Walmart in India (Factor Daily)